Friday, October 11, 2013

Maiden to Mrs.

Finally received my social security card, in the mail, with my new last name on it.  It only took a year!  The actual process was painless.  I filled out a form with both my parents info on it and went down to my local office.  Took a number and waited maybe 10-15 minutes.  Handed her the form and my marriage certificate and that was it!  Whole process took under an hour, hardest part was finding parking.  All that dread I had was for naught!  I don't know what I thought it was going to be like, but so far it hasn't been that "painful".  The hardest part so far has been changing my signature.  It is so funny because you see you girls writing their name with their crushes last name over and over, all over their binders, notebooks, whatever.  Then there is me who didn't even think of it until I had to sign something.  I decided not to change my signature as you cannot read my last name anyways and I would literally have to practice if I want to change it.  It is the one thing that will always be uniquely mine. Don't get me wrong I love being called a Mrs. but during the wedding planning I didn't think of my new name much.  Next, is my driver's license and passport; finally my work file.  My license, I can make an appointment and the form can't be filled out online.  You can only pick up the form at the DMV because it has a bar code on it.  This is the one that I am really dreading.  Even though I will make an appointment, I have no idea how to change my name on all the 7 cars I have co-signed or own.  Reading on the website, I got the impression one does not necessarily have to change the registrations, only the license.

So far this year it hasn't been a drastic transition but a gradual process.  All my credit cards and accounts were a breeze, just took a phone call.  There was a little mix up with my phone bill and I had to enter a new credit card for my automatic payments.  One of my credit cards was expiring and along with my new card they sent one for my husband.  He is on my taxes, now he is on my credit.  I told my hubby jokingly, "There is no turning back now, my money is yours!"  To which he replied jokingly, "Thank you for your graciousness."

I guess it really hasn't hit me because I am still using my maiden name at work.  This last job there was another Cynthia (mine is Cintia) and this caused some confusion.  Instead of calling us by our first name they used the last name.  I still have my maiden name on the call sheet so naturally everybody started using that.  Once I get that license, seeing and hearing my new name, I think it will change.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!