Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Love Letter to My Husband

Its so funny that I am considered by those closest to me an extremely romantic person, mingled with being outgoing, and a decent writer, most people expected me to write my own vows at our wedding. We didn't. There is something to be said for the traditional promises to love and cherish. Something powerful in knowing the words you say have been said by billions of lovers throughout history. Its almost as though your vow is timeless. This is, I know, the romantic view of things. Another truth may be that I am intensely private about the things that matter most. I was raised to keep my personal life more personal because making something public somehow devalued it.

Yet, even with this privacy concept ingrained in my personal culture, I often wonder if it is fair to keep my affection for my husband to myself? If it is in this private nature of the more intimate details of our relationship that people have cause for pause to question or doubt... Or, as mentioned in a previous post, feel they still have a shot with me.

We are long past the honeymoon stage. 8 years together can do that to you. Still, it isn't that the romance isn't there, its more that what romance is there is so comfortable, that there is less reason to note it.

My husband is my best friend. He is the first person I run to confide in. He is my first choice companion on every adventure I embark on. He is the place I run to when I need comfort or courage or confidence... or advice. I love that he challenges me, yet he is also the kindest person I know, with a remarkable knack for calming me. He offers me inspiration, one of the only people I can talk to for hours without growing bored or distracted...unless he is talking about cars, but I am used to that. He is also adorable, with the most peaceful green eyes where I can get lost. I love that every time he stirs in his sleep, only half awake, he reaches for whatever part of me happens to be nearest to him, to kiss before settling back into sleep. I love how when he wakes up in the morning, the first thing he does is look for me and when he finds me (often buried under a million pillows) he smiles a sleepy contented smile. I love how we take care of each other and understand each other in an almost effortless way that only comes from deep companionship. I love his patience and his generosity, not just with me but with everyone we meet. I love that he loves me for all my faults and finds me beautiful no matter how I look that day. I know that I shine more brightly because of the warmth he shares with me. I hope that every day I offer him as much as he gives to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!